January 30, 2013

Being happy!

Being happy and loving flowers. Fabric flowers.
 
Hello, my friends! 
A Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt, entirely handmade, using the English Paper Piecing method! How proud I am!?...Uh! It was a lot of work, and still, it's a lot of work, but this quilt will be lovely!
I have here, flowers made from all my beloved fabrics.
It's a joy for me to touch them, to see them together. 
I was tempted, first, to make the sides from a single piece but after few minutes, I've decided: it's better and even nicer to have sides from hexies...well, go for it: 240 more hexagons!!
 
 
Oh, I know: I'll keep the paper hexies! - who knows, maybe I will be able to make another quilt, sometimes.
 
They look like strings.

I sewn sticky notes on top, to not loose the right position for my first layout choice.
And because I like order and discipline, and a well organized work, I tried to arrange all the hexies, all the time, having a nice print distribution and symmetries of the prints for those flowers.
Also, it was a law for me, to keep the lengthwise grain for every single hexagon I've made. 
This "rule" was broken only when I had to arrange some... "kaleidoscopes", for the middle flower.
 
 
This is what I have, so far, today:
Still a long way till finish, but I get closer!
Happy sewing!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel about your hexagons. I am also addicted to them, and my fabric is precious to me too. I like the way you have filled in the gaps on the sides with more hexagons. Your quilt will be wonderful. Can't wait to see it finished!

Nancy

Patchwork DailyDesire said...

Thank you so much for your comment!
Unfortunatly, it will be a long way till finish!